Production increases of up to 300% in crop yields were achieved when working directly with farmers. 20% in corn, 300% with one peanut farmer, 10 to 20% in cotton, 12 to 15% in wheat, increase yield and flavour in grapes.
Nutrition increases in all crops was the stand out.
Peanut growers will often see shells with only one nut, we saw large doubles in all and 3 nuts in many.
China has the potential to increase its crop production by at least 15% with the right nutritional program. That is without any additional inputs, the science is already there
In 2003 The APAL laboratory in Adelaide Australia entered into a joint venture – soil analysis laboratory with the Kai Feng Xian Nong Yue Ju (KaiFeng County Agricultural Bureau) and was established and will began operating shortly afterwards. Principals were Mr Bryan McLeod and Mr Simon Cope from the Australian company resided in the Kaifeng County overseeing the establishment and daily running of the lab. This venture brought overseas technology to help the local farmers. Although the lab closed in 2009 due to various difficulties, it did provide a valuable service to the local farmers and Agricultural officials. My biggest disappointment was that the local farmers didn’t get all the help they needed.
I enjoyed working with the local farmers and seeing the outstanding results they achieved
Many laboratories analysis for the major elements in the soil, Phosphorus, Nitrogen and Potassium which are all essential elements, the laboratory analysed12 essential minerals both major and minor and how to establish the balance of major elements in a soil. The exporting of many crops from China has been inhibited both by quality and shelf life both of which are a direct result of a soils nutritional balance and as we change that balance we change the soils structure and either increase the quality of cereals, fruit and vegetables or decrease quality. Soil analyses are essential to allow farmers the opportunity to capitalise from their labour. Many difficult soils such as high sodium soils, poorly drained soils, high magnesium soils all limit agricultural production and by changing the chemical make up of a soil we can correct both the structure and microbial content correcting the majority of problems using the FLC approach and technology.
FLC brought with them a number of experienced agricultural consultants specialising in all types agriculture and land reclamation, including, cropping, fruit production, vegetable production, tree establishment, city developments in parks and reserves, animal health and dairying.
FLC initiated wheat trials which was followed by trials including both cotton and corn. Mr McLeod formulated a special fertiliser base on soil samples that were analysed at the Australian laboratory. This formulation was used for these trials. The results showed a significant increase in both yield and quality noting that urea applications to the trial areas were considerably lower than what normally normally applied.
Aims and Objectives were
To provide a total service in all aspects of soil nutrition by:
• Helping farmers to understand their soil
• Promoting the principles of good soil nutrition
• Promoting long term soil productivity
• Promoting more effective utilisation of fertilisers
• Improving crop yields
• Improving crop storage life through greater understanding of the use of balanced fertiliser applications.
• Improving animal nutrition
• Providing education in soil and animal nutrition
• Increasing human health
• Providing information and program for soil conservation, soil structure improvement and saline soil rehabilitation.
Analysis & Education are our Prime Objectives
A soil analysis is of little value if it doesn’t teach you about your soil
The FLC Program consists of: FLC方案包括:
• Soil analysis 土壤分析
• Soil reports and recommendations prepared and dispatched to consultants/farmers.
• Instructions on the fertiliser mix to be applied to bring the soil towards an ideal condition and balance.
• Timing for application of specified fertilisers
• Instruction on leaf analysis. 叶面分析指导
• Recommendations for Foliar applications to correct deficiencies or to counter soil excesses.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES IN CHINA
• To establish a soil and tissue analysis laboratory
• To implement a training programme to introduce the FLC Consulting programme to China
制定一套培训计划，把 FLC Consulting 计划引进中国
• So we can:
• Promote the idea of good soil nutrition
• Improve the nutritious content of all agricultural products
• To promote long term soil productivity
• Greater utilisation of fertilisers
• Improve crop yields
• Improve crop storage life of all horticultural crops
• To increase productivity of the Chinese farmer